Thursday 19 July 2012

Last Day in England...

July 3, 2012

Our last day in England…  Yesterday we sold the car, so that was a huge relief to have done before we left.  We really didn’t want to have to leave it for Andrew to sell.  So today, we spent our time mostly just making sure each piece of check in luggage was within the weight limit of 23 Kilo each.  We have four carry on bags which  include the three ones on  wheels and the fourth being Danika’s little keyboard.   It took a great deal of shuffling to get everything at a proper weight L

We were all really tired.  In fact, that is why this post shows a lack of photos… I was too tired to carry the camera around.  Danika and Jason’s cousin, Leoni, was laid up with her leg in a cast, so she was nice enough to put a movie on the television and watch it with them while David and I walked into town.  David wanted to go for one last meal of fish and chips. 

It was funny because I don’t like fish, but I wanted to go with him, so Leoni was telling me about these scallops that you can get that are just potatoes fried in the fish batter.  Basically they are a heart attack waiting to happen.  I figured I would try them. 

Well, when we got to the fish shop and I looked at the menu, the scallops were only 28 pence (less than 45 cents).  I figured if they were that cheap, they must be pretty small, so I better order two.  Oh my gosh, when they plopped the first one down, I gasped…  it was enormous…  I wasn’t sure I could eat one, much less two.  It was also dripping with grease.  You have to understand, that by this time, I have gained nearly twenty pounds from when we left in January, and my clothes really don’t fit.  Did that stop me from eating it?  Of course not!  At least we had a twenty minute walk back to the house to use up some of those calories.

I was absolutely exhausted by the time we got back.  I think I just vegged out!  Leoni was so sweet that she French plaited (braided) Danika’s hair like she does for her horse’s mane.  Poor thing, she has a cast on her leg and she still managed to take the time to do it.  Danika sits still much better for her cousin than she does for me J



At 4:30, Peter, David’s dad, came over and it was nice to be able to spend some time with him.  He stayed for dinner and a last goodbye before we leave for the States.  Julie made a fabulous dinner, and then we all went to the pub for some dessert.  We tried sticky toffee pudding, hot fudge cake, and endless ice cream.  I was feeling a bit sick by the time we got back home.  I think I will have gained the rest of the 20 lbs. by the time we get back to Missoula!


Off to bed early as we get up 5:30 a.m. to take a taxi to Manchester airport which is about an hour and a half away.  Night J
~Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment