Monday 2 July 2012

Remembering Grandma...

July 1, 2012

Today was the day that we spread Grandma Firth’s ashes.  The entire family met up at Granddad Firth’s place.  He lives just across the road from Roundhay Park.  This park is enourmous, and Granddad wanted to put some ashes in a special garden that the two of them used to go to.  It is a beautiful place about a 15 minute walk from Granddad’s place. 

A few people drove and that was nice because Leoni is in her cast, so she didn’t have to do it on crutches.  It was a cold and windy walk over, but once we reached the gardens, the sun came out and it was very peaceful.  It gave all of us time to wander around and think about Grandma Firth.  The flowers were beautiful and they really reminded me of her.  Many of us gathered around a pond with a little waterfall. It was very peaceful…



 



Hilary and Granddad Firth...



These are Joyce’s (Grandma Firth’s) two sisters, Catherine and Beryl…


There were tears…


As well as laughter…


It really is a lovely place for Granddad Firth (as well as anyone who knew Joyce) to return to and have a peaceful place to recall fond memories.

After Granddad put a handful of ashes amongst some purple flowers, we all headed back to his place.  It is a lovely walk through the park.  This was modeled after Monet’s gardens…


Jason with his cousin, James, James’ wife Haley, and Jason’s other cousin, Elizabeth.



The walk back to Peter’s place includes a long walk across Soldier’s field.  Jason is at the very front with his cousins, Danika is at the back with Granddad Firth, David, and Auntie Hilary.  It was amazing that we were the only ones on the entire field…



David was able to get some alone time with his dad…


Back at Granddad’s place, just outside the living room window, we planted a tree in honor of Joyce. This is where Peter spread the rest of her ashes. 

Uncle Andrew and Jason digging the hole…


Danika telling them it needs to be a bit deeper…


They asked David to say a prayer, and it was really nice.  Jason’s eyes watered up as he was saying it.  Then Granddad placed the ashes…


All filled in with memory plaque in place.  It is a magnolia tree.  I couldn’t think of a better tree for Joyce, how lovely…




After this was done, we all went to a local pub called the White House for dinner.  There was only one picture taken there, and that was because David had the camera.  Somehow, Uncle Duncan had given Danika these things called White Bait.  Apparently, she loved them, and wanted me to try them.  Now, I don’t like fish, but I can eat some white fish, you know, the stuff that doesn’t taste fishy.  So, when I was handed this thing to try and told it was fish, but that Danika liked it, I figured it would be okay to try.  The other reason I was willing to try it was because David didn’t say anything to me.  He always tells me that I won’t like something if it has the tiniest inkling of a fishy taste.  So, I popped it in my mouth and this was the result…


Oh my gosh, how could they do that to me?  It tasted disgusting.  It was a whole fish, eyes and all.  I had no idea because it was covered in batter.  David told me later what it was and I could have killed him.

Other than that, it was a lovely dinner except for the fact that I ate too much.  You see, we all had dessert as well.  I kept eating it even though I was completely stuffed.  My stomach hurt all night.  Can’t wait to get back to a normal eating routine…
~Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment