Tuesday 13 January 2015

Hiking the Abel Tasman

December 23, 2014

We woke up early this morning and had a quick breakfast before driving from Richmond to the AquaTaxi in Marahau, which is 1 hour north of Richmond.  We checked in with the taxi and still had some time before the boat left, so we went and grabbed a some of coffees and hot chocolates.  This was the view across the street from the little cafe where we bought our drinks.  It is looking to be a lovely morning!


When we got back it was perfect timing for boarding the boat.  The boat was actually on a trailer that was hitched to a tractor.  We are on the boat which is on the trailer being towed in this picture and you can see the set-up to the left and behind the AquaTaxi sign.


They drove us down the road and backed us down the ramp into the water.  The tide comes way in and goes way out.  At certain times of day, they have to drive the tractors way out on the sand to drop off or pick up boats.


Our aquataxi driver was great.  First he took us to the split apple rock, apparently the most photographed rock in New Zealand, probably because all of the water taxis stopped there! 


Two handsome men!


Next he took us to see some seals swimming in the water and lying on the rocks.  There was a really cute little baby that was struggling to move around the rocks... it was really cute, like watching a toddler.  Then we went through the mad mile which was where it gets pretty choppy.  The entire journey was just beautiful.


Then we were off to Torrent Bay where we landed on the sandy shoreline.  We took of our shoes and socks and hopped into the water to get ashore.



The water was a perfect temperature.  If I had know it would be that nice, I would have worn a bathing suit and jumped in for a bit before we started the hike.  I actually would have been happy to just sit there at the beach all day! 



However, we had what I thought was a 14 kilometer hike (almost 9 miles) ahead of us (it turned out to be 18 km, a little over 11 miles!), so we went and washed our feet and put on our shoes and set off toward the right hand side of the picture above.  That is where the Abel Tasman Coast Track trail from Torrent Bay begins.


It was easy hiking and the scenery was stunning.




The trail was wide and flat to start out, and we could have stayed on that , but decided we wanted to go and see Cleopatra's pools, so we did a little offshoot hike.



It was nice to climb around the rocks... I wish we would have been hiking in swim suits!  The water was really refreshing.






Next we decided to take a short cut and climb up off the Abel Tasman Coastal Track and over the mountain.  It was really steep and it got really hot because we came up out of the shelter of the trees.  The terrain was more like high desert scrub up top, so it got very hot.  Everytime we thought we were getting to the summit, we would turn a corner and it would go up again.  The weird thing was that we never got to a place with a view, so we didn't take any pictures except this one at the beginning of the climb.  You can see it is a very small single track trail, and pretty steep.  The trail is marked with the orange plastic triangles that you can see nailed to the tree...


However, once we actually summitted, we all felt really good because we knew that would be the most difficult part of the hike.  We hiked through all sorts of terrain.  At some points it felt like we were in a jungle, and others a pine forest and sometimes we were among giant fern trees.  It was really amazing.

The coastline was spectacular as well.  The water was so blue and with the white sand and limestone rocks and greenery, it was the perfect combination.  We hiked for two and a half hours before we stopped for lunch.  We hiked down to this cute little beach on Akersten Bay and had our packed sandwiches.



 Danika went searching for shells.




It was such a lovely spot.  I was happy to just sit in the shade and cool of and relax.  The other nice thing about the Abel Tasman trail is that most of the beaches also have toilets, so that was a welcome break!

Then it was a hike back up to the main trail and we were off again.


Danika and Jason went ahead of us for a bit  When we came to a junction in the trail, I was surprised that the kids were not there waiting for us.  David said that they knew where they were going and he was sure they went the right way.  I was pretty sure as well, but as a mom, I wanted to be sure.  So I asked the next group of people that passed if they had seen two kids in front of us.  They said "No."  I was really surprised, so we asked two more groups and they both said "No."  I was starting to worry, so I told David that I would run down the other path at the junction because it was a dead end at the beach to see if the kids went down there.  So, I ran down, and nothing!  I ran back up and met up with David.  He was surprised I didn't find the kids, and panic was starting to set in. I was really tired from running down and back up, so I asked David if he would run ahead and try to find them. 

So he ran ahead and I jog/walked as fast as I could.  Now that I was completely alone, the panic took hold and I got really worried.  The edges of the path were really steep and I kept wondering if they had been messing around (like they do all the time) and pushing each other around and one pushed the other over the edge. Then, in trying not to go over the edge, the dragged the other one, so both of them were crumpled at the bottom of a deep ravine.  Yes, this is how my mind works!  

By this time I was pray-running.  It is actually really hard to pray and run at the same time, but I was doing it.  I Prayed to God, Jesus (even wished him an early Happy Birthday) and my old standby, St. Anthony, the patron saint of lost items.  

Imagine my joy as I rounded a corner to find David chatting with the kids.  Danika and Jason were all smiles.  Instead of running up to them and embracing them and showering them with kisses, I put on my meanest Mom face and said, "That was NOT funny!  Do you know how worried I was???"  Of course, they had done nothing wrong. They knew what they were doing, knew where they were going, and just kept hiking.  It was the eight or so other hikers we had asked.  HAVE YOU SEEN TWO KIDS???  We even said that they were tall kids, showing how tall they were.  Eight different people said "NO" and there is no other way that they could have gotten on the trail, so they had to pass the kids.  By this time I was thinking really bad thoughts about all those people.  Did they not realize the stress they were causing me???  If I knew who they were and I ever saw them again, I would walk up to them and grab their collars and shake them and say, "Don't you EVER do the to me AGAIN!"

The rest of the hike we laughed about it and trail was really easy, so we just enjoyed thee scenery.


And I have to say, the kids were real troopers!





By the last two kilometers we were all really tired though.



This is a great example of how the terrain changes so quickly... ferns right next to sagebrush!


When the trail ended, we still had another half a mile to walk back to where our car was.  We were pretty happy to get back.  We think we did at least 18 kilometers in total.


This was part of the walk back...





And a map of where we have been!


We decided to go back to the little place where we had coffees this morning.  We deserved to have a little relaxing afternoon break before driving back to Richmond.  So, we found a table with a great view and ordered four drinks.  Resting our feet, enjoying the view, what a great way to end our long hike.



Then we drove back to Richmond and went for a quick swim in the pool. More raspberries had ripened, so we picked and ate those, and then sat out in the sun to dry off.  It was really relaxing to have our own little back garden.

We went out for dinner for burgers and fries and then finished it off with coke freezes as we walked back to our little apartment.  There was a movie on called "Grown Ups" that the kids started watching.  They started laughing really loudly, Danika falling off the sofa at one point.  David and I started watching with them to see what was so funny.  It was the stupidest movie ever, so stupid it was funny.  I think what really made me laugh was watching the kids laugh so much. 

Thus ended our time in Richmond.  Off to Christchurch tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment