Sunday 24 June 2012

The Fairy Tale continues - Mont St. Michel...

June 19, 2012

What a lazy morning, and it was so nice!  We got up and had our wonderful breakfast at the farm.  There was a mom and her 16 year old son staying there also, so we had a very long, slow breakfast just chatting.  Our car pulled out at around 11:00 a.m.  We left the Loire Valley and drove four hours to our next destination.

Obviously we are still living in a fairytale.  The cotton ball clouds alone made me feel like Shrek was going to pop out from behind a tree and offer me some spun spider webs on a stick…




After being in Italy for five months, everything in France seemed so clean and tidy.  The roads are in much better condition, and there were flowers planted everywhere.




We saw all sorts of interesting things.  Seriously, doesn’t it look like we are in a cartoon?



See, don’t the roads look nice?  And those cotton ball clouds were with us the entire way to Mont St. Michel.



When we arrived at out hotel, we checked in, brought in our luggage, and looked out the window.  We were surprised we had a view of Mont St. Michel from our window.  It is 12 kilometers away…



Once we were settled in, we hopped in the car and drove the 12 kilometers to the Mont St. Michel (MSM) parking lot.  Most people take the shuttle from the parking lot to MSM, but we decided to do the 30 minute walk as it was a nice day and we had been cooped up in the car far too long.




Impressive, I even got the seagull in the shot J



It was an easy as well as interesting climb up to the Abbey…  (although I think we have done so many steps in Perugia, and hiking at altitude in Chamonix-Mont Blanc, that a few stairs at sea level seemed easy)



We walked the perimeter along the ramparts…



But stayed away from the touristy street with all of the shops…



On the way back I was telling David that I take a lot of pictures by just throwing my hand up in the air and snapping when I see something I like.  I actually did it as I was telling him.  I am pretty sure he was laughing at my technique…



It was a little windy on the way back…



Since there is so much silt, a dam has been built.  The dam lets some of the tide water in when the tide is coming in, and then when the tide is going out, the dam lets it out at the bottom so that the water will wash the silt out to sea.  This is a picture from the dam.



And on our way back to the car.   I hope I don’t find Shrek back at the hotel J



The next morning we tried to get a shot with the morning sun on Mont St. Michel, but it was really cloudy and the sun wasn’t cooperating.



I also tried to get a shot of this field of sheep because there were so many.  Unfortunately they are too small to see.  These sheep eat the sea grass and the salt in it gives the meat a special flavor that is “presalted”.  It is supposed to taste fabulous, but we didn’t try any.



More later…
~Mary

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely beautiful, my friend! What a grand adventure!!! I'm sending you all our love from WA! xoxo

    ReplyDelete