Saturday 25 February 2012

Deruta Ceramics

February 23, 2012

David and I took a trip to Deruta while the kids were in school.  This is where all of the famous Italian pottery comes from.  It is only about 20 minutes from our apartment.

One of our favorite places in Deruta is the Ditta G. Grazia and Company.  This family business has been going for 500 years. 



We were the only ones there and David asked for a tour.  So, they gave us a full personal tour of the place.



We were able to see the painted pottery before and after firing.  They also fire it again after putting a clear glass coating on.



They let us watch the artists as they painted the pieces. The second picture is the  same pattern she is painting so that you know what it looks like after firing.





 She even let me paint a little.  It was so much fun J



There is a possibility that I may be able to go back there and take a few classes.  I am so excited…  This last picture is my favorite one.  I just love all of the colors…



Hopefully there will be a follow-up to this post detailing my adventures in pottery class!

~Mary


No comments:

Post a Comment