Thursday 2 February 2012

Snow and Ice and I left my Montana gear at home...


February 02, 2012

We had about an hour of sunshine during our snowstorm, so I took a quick pick. 


Sole:  Sun is precious in our little apartment because it gets really humid inside with all the windows closed to keep the heat in.  Our humidity gauge is the paint on the walls.  I have included pictures of the walls when it gets too humid.  We are still trying to figure out how to get the place dry as snow and rain are forecast for the next ten days.




Nevica:  Snow…  We tried to go to a small town named Deruta today.  It is where all of the famous Italian pottery comes from. The Gillette family gave us a book called “The Backroads of Italy” just before we left and we are anxious to start exploring.   Unfortunately, the road conditions are perilous.  We tried to leave the parking lot and the road was so steep and icy that the car wouldn’t make it.  Then it was all we could do to get the car back into a parking spot.  Since we don’t have snow tires, it looks like we may need to get some chains.  From the weather report, we may not be able to get out of here for a couple of weeks yet.

Cappoti:  Coats…So, it seems like we have landed smack dab into the middle of the 1950’s here.  No kidding, EVERYONE wears mink coats, and at the very least, fur…  Do you think David and I stand out a bit in our bright orange and green puffy jackets?  We had to post pictures of the minks because it seems that everyone has them. (David took the pics via stealth mode as he would pretend to take a picture of me and zoom in on them)   My favorite picture is of the lady wearing a mink coat with her work boots on.  Gotta love it!







Stivali:  Speaking of boots, let’s talk shoes for a bit.  I was trying to be very careful in what I chose to bring, so I kept it to my running shoes, my Danskos  (because I can walk for miles in them), and some sandals for when it warms up.  NO snow stuff at all.  Unfortunately, my Danskos are probably the worst thing I can have here.  With the cobbled roads and snowy/icy conditions, I have turned my ankle no less than 10 times.  Then I resorted to walking around in my running shoes, but they get soaked through and my feet freeze.   Oh well, I decided I would just bite the bullet and buy some snow boots.  Well, apparently every woman in Italy has very small feet.  The largest size anyone carries is a 9 and I wear a 9 1/2…  So not fair.  Of course I could always buy a men’s shoe.  But who wants to pay $200 for a pair of boots they don’t like and will only wear for a month?    I was hoping for some beautiful and sexy Italian leather boots to take home to Montana with me.  What is a girl to do?

La Scuola:  We are trying to get the kids enrolled in school.  So far, it has been going from one office to another with no results yet.  We were scheduled to go to the school today, but it is closed due to the icy conditions L 

La Citta:  The City…  So we will have to get out for some more exploring of the city today.   It seems to be the only exercise the kids are getting.   I’m feeling like a really bad parent at the moment.  At least we have really awesome healthy snacks!  Takea  look at the tomatoes with fresh basil and mozzarella…  (This picture is dedicated to Paul Gladen as he seems to like the food pics)  



Yum J

~Mary



1 comment:

  1. Yes - food photos definitely appreciated. Can I place an order for risotto?

    ReplyDelete