Saturday 11 February 2012

Me and My Sofa...

February 11, 2012

I have been down with a really bad cold for the past few days.  I thought my throat was going to have a hole burned through it overnight because it hurt so badly. 

When we first arrived and unpacked the suitcase, I was stunned at the amount of medicine I had brought.  It seemed like I had enough for a year…  I guess I was worried about not having what I needed in case the kids got sick.  Now I am thankful that I had sore throat lozenges to get me through that first day.

David was so nice that he went out and got some minestrone soup for me. He couldn’t find our old-fashioned standby of chicken noodle soup.  Still, it felt so comforting having that soup for dinner.  He also bought some Sicilian orange blossom honey for my lemon tea.  I spent most of my time snuggled on the sofa with my favorite blanket and pillow.  I snuck the blanket in amongst our minimal packing by using it to cushion Danika’s piano in its carry on case.  Diane Thornock made the pillowcase, and I am sure she will be surprised that I brought it with me, but it is my traveling pillow and I love it. 



Now my cold has moved into the phase where the Vick’s Vapor Rub is a necessity.  Of course, it is one of the things I didn’t pack amongst the other million that made it here.  So, David made the trek to the pharmacia and somehow was able to communicate exactly what he needed.  This tiny little tub of Vick’s cost $10, and let me tell you, it has been worth every penny.  Maybe just because of the feeling of comfort it gives me as it reminds me of the many times my mother took care of me when I was growing up, and Vick’s was always there.  I actually really like getting stuff from the pharmacia simply for the experience. They wrap everything in this nice little paper with a picture of an old apothecary.  It makes me feel like I am getting a present, even though I am paying through the nose for it.



The up side of being down and out is that I have had time to start reading “Under the Tuscan Sun”.  I want to read it before the weather warms up.  Cortona is less than an hour away and after the little bit I’ve read, I am really looking forward to going there.   

 A “snow day” was called again, so the kids don’t have school.  I wish I had a sled as the streets are empty of cars for a change, and full of snow.   The kids would love it! 
This pic is out our living room window...


This is off the balcony...



This is looking down off our balcony to the street below.



  I think I will just stay snuggled up on my sofa with a good book.
~Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment